Small Byte CPD: Short Online Courses about Assessment
Communicate-ed has developed a number of short courses about assessing for access arrangements and the administration and interpretation of a range of tests. All courses with a * are SASC approved for Core CPD hours. Each course is worth one core hour (even if the course itself is longer).
Courses about Access Arrangements in Exams:
- Providing Evidence of Normal Way of Working: 75 mins Lia Castiglione examines the JCQ interpretation of ‘normal way of working’ and explores resources used in a variety of centres to provide evidence for differing needs.
- Using Assistive Technology in Exams: 75 mins Malcolm Litten presents the types of technology that a candidate can use in exams, with suggestions for specific software.
- *Assessing Students with English as an Additional Language for Access Arrangements: 60 mins Caroline Read and Gurinder Grewal outline the issues faced when assessing candidates with English as an Additional Language for Exam Access Arrangements. They make suggestions for how to decide whether their difficulty is due to EAL or an underlying learning difficulty.
- *Collating and Interpreting Evidence for Access Arrangements: 100 mins Caroline Read takes delegates step by step through how to collate and interpret the evidence needed to decide what Access Arrangements a candidate needs and qualifies for.
- Understanding the Impact of Neurodiversity on Examinations: 100 mins Lia Castiglione gives an overview of the main Neurodiversity and makes suggestions for appropriate Exam Access Arrangements.
- The Equality Act 2010 and Examination Access Arrangements for General Qualifications: 75 mins Caroline Read explains the requirements of the EQA 2010 in relation to qualifications, what the Act says and how awarding bodies and centres can be sure that they are complying with the law.
†Courses covering the administration and interpretation of individual tests:
- *Adult Reading Test 2: 60 mins
- *British Picture Vocabulary Scale 3: 45 mins
- *Comprehensive Test of Phonological Processing 2: 90 mins
- *Detailed Assessment of Speed of Handwriting: 70 mins
- *Diagnostic Reading Analysis 3 & Access Reading Test 3: 70 mins
- *Dyslexia Portfolio: 70 mins
- *Gray Oral Reading Tests 5: 70 mins
- * Kaufman Test of Educational Achievement 3 120 mins
- *SPaRCS 50 mins
- *Test of Word Reading Efficiency 2: 30 mins
- *Test of Memory and Learning 2: 90 min
- *Wechsler Individual Achievement Test IIIukT: 120 mins
- *Wide Range Achievement Test 5: 50 mins
- *Wide Range Intelligence Test: 110 mins
- * Woodcock Johnson VI UK and IRE edition: 120 mins
- *York Assessment of Reading Comprehension: 90 mins
Please note, we have a few other short courses available as webinars that we ran live but recorded for future bookings. These include:
- Presentation on the TOSWRF-2, TOSCRF-2 and TOC-2
- Exploring Alternatives to the SDMT
- Presentation on the DTVP-A:2
- The use and interpretation of the TOMAL 2 in diagnostic assessments
Please click here to view and book these webinars.
†If you have access to a copy of the test(s) you have chosen you will find it helpful to have the manual to refer to during the presentation. However, this is not essential as the presenter will show the appropriate pages on the screen. Most of the tests have record/examiner forms produced by the publishers; you will need an original copy of the appropriate form(s) for each test you have chosen. We can supply you with a form for a small fee, please click here for an order form. (162 KB pdf).
- 1 course - £30
- 2 courses - £45
- 3 courses - £60
- 4 courses - £75
These prices apply when the courses are booked for the same 10 consecutive day period.
How to Book
- To book one of the above courses, please click on the link below to go to our Small Byte CPD course page.
- Scroll down and click ‘Book Pre-recorded online course’, select the date you would like to start your 10 day access, and then you will see the list of courses.
- Tick whichever courses you would like to access in your ten days, and then add your details.